MST3K: The Movie
1994 - 1997
From conception, filming, release and beyond here is a collection of things related to Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie.
1. An RTC copy of This Island Earth used by Best Brains
2. First draft of the script for MST3K: The Movie (1994). Originally Frank was included in the story and the host segments were much more extravagant. Here are the opening pages.
3. The Help Us postcard mail out by Best Brains urging MSTies to write Universal President Casey Silver in the Spring of 1994
4. The Universal Appeal button worn by MSTies attending the September 94 Conventio-Con in order to help impress the Universal executives that were also in attendance.
5. A later edition of the shooting script (March 17 and 28, 1995) which still includes the storm shelter sequence and the original ending. Here are the opening few pages plus the first page of riffing on This Island Earth.
6. The original storyboards for the host segments illustrated by Rich Larson who later helped with the Sci-Fi Dominion series Edward the Less. The examples below are from the opening with Dr. F, Mike trying to save Tom from the hull breach and a couple pages from the cut storm shelter sequence.
7. An actual film crew jacket worn by BBI Production Manager Wendell Jon Andersson. Including the certificate of authenticy from Wendell signed by Trace along with pictures of Trace modeling the jacket.
8. Film crew hat obtained from ex-Info Club Poobah Julie Walker.
9. Actual Shooting Schedule (7 pages) from March and April 1995
10. Some early sketches (possibly by Kevin) during development of what I believe is the revised ending to the movie. Notice the interociter showing Servo, Mike and Gypsy (lower left), then Dr. F seems to blow himself up (upper right) then a final shot when Dr. F reappears with another character (Benkitnorf, maybe?) (lower right).
11. 35mm trailer for the release of the movie
12. 9 card promotional set first seen at a comic convention in San Diego in September 1995
13. Press Kit issued by Universal Studios
14. Press Kit issued by Gramercy
15. Some newspaper photos from the publicity tour in New York City, 4/8-10/96
16. An Evening with Jim Mallon and Trace Beaulieu at The Pacific Design Center, Los Angeles 4/12/96.
The evening included a screening of MST3K: The Movie and special guest appearance by Rex Reason.
17. Print ad appearing in magazines immediately before the movie's release.
18. Premiere tickets from Avco Center Cinema in Westwood (LA), CA on 4/16/96 and the AMC Glen Lakes Theater in Dallas, TX on 4/17/96
19. Flier handed out at premiere asking for MSTies to contact the Sci-Fi Channel to pick up the show
20. Minneapolis premiere ticket. This was the official World Premiere attended by the staff of Best Brains, Inc.
21. Some snap shots taken at the premiere in Minneapolis, 4/18/96.
22. Mini-poster (17"x25") given out at premiere of movie. The image is identical to the one sheet.
23. Double-sided one sheet movie poster (41"x27") - autographed by Jim, Kevin and Trace
24. Movie Marquee, 2" x 9" back-lit mylar used at theater ticket booths.
25. Newspaper ads from Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, 4/19/96
26. Snap shot taken at the Mall of America Planet Hollywood as Jim, Mike, Kevin and Trace present them with a Tom Servo. 4/19/96
27. Movie T-Shirt prototype for version actually sold. This version did not have a copyright date printed on it.
28. Movie T-Shirt prototype. White version that was never sold to public.
29. Premiere Ticket from Buffalo, NY. 5/9/96
30. Screener tape for video release of movie, including the trailer
31. Video press kit from MCA
32. Video release poster
33. Video in-store loop
34. Just to show how Universal this movie was, here is an advertisement from Thailand.
35. An ad for MST3K: The Movie from Australia
To Photo Gallery